Monday, November 06, 2006

4 More Weeks

The end is near. I'm in the final 4 weeks of school at Oregon Culinary. It's been quite a journey so far. Now we are in the restaurant serving the public. For the last week I've been a waiter. This coming week I'll be a "sous chef" (making sure orders are plated correctly and sent out in timely fashion). Then I'll work prep and then the line. It's a little stressful because we have to learn new positions every week, so in some ways it's like opening a new restaurant every week. Just when you learn a position, you get moved to another one. But it is fun and a great experience.

After this term, I move on to my externship. I can't wait. I'll be going to Cannon Beach and working in rotation at three of the best restaurants on the coast:
The Wayfarer , The Stephanie Inn Dining Room and the Lumberyard Rotisserie and Grill . I'm so excited to work with some of the best chefs in Oregon. They are also paying me and providing housing (weird, it's like I'm really back in college now- complete with roomates). It will be very tough to be away from my wife, we'll both probably put some mileage on our cars. But this is an opportunity not to be passed up. So if you're in Cannon Beach for a weekend, stop by and say hi.

1 comment:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Ohhh, the Stephanie is where it's at, though I haven't been there in over 10 years. The Wayf is much more casual, and I did eat at the lumber yard during its last incarnation, and that was a bit of a sports bar with entertainment.

I'm glad that you will be there during the winter for your externship. Summer might kill you with all the people and pressure.

Congrats on your final term.

Guy